Tuesday, July 14, 2009

America Runs On Dunkin


Ahh, two old fashioned donuts and a coffee with free wifi. Thank you Dunkin Donuts. Another successful night of camping and we are ready to set out for the greater Rochester NY area today. The camping spots are getting thin as we get into more urban areas, but we'll see what we can do. I continue to struggle a couple of times a day with my stove. The MSR whisperlite has only three settings: napalm strike, iron smelting, and off. I have developed a method of cooking scrambled eggs without nuking them to the pan, though. I hold the pan about three inches above the cooking surface for the entire process. Our campsite was really nice last night, lakeside with a great breeze. Except the breeze died right about the time we sat down to eat with a resulting explosion in the number of mosquitoes. We each ate with one hand and whirled the other one around our heads. I guess you can't have anything. We are both sleeping well at night, which is not always possible when sleeping on the ground, so we are thankful for that. Everywhere we go people ask us about our trip, our equipment, this cool little computer. We're like, you know, celebrities or something. Okay enough about us, we've got some more pedaling to do. Next update? sooner than this one hopefully.

1 comment:

  1. Hey David, I am an old friend of Marcs and Stef Chang gave me your blog address to see what my old buddy was up to. While I was checking out how the long bike ride was going I saw that you had some trouble with your whisperlite and thought I might be able to ease your pain. Directions for simmer: So you obviously realize that the stove must be primed before you get a good flame, this is done by heating up the coil which vaporizes the gas before it leaks out in liquid form. So fire it up like you would normally, i.e. pump it up, put gas into the primer cup, let it heat up then turn it on after the gas is almost totally burned off, and you should get a regular flame. Now turn it totally off. Unscrew the cap and let out all of the excess pressure. Then screw it back on and ONLY PUMP TWO TIMES for a full bottle or a few more if you have a half. The stove is already primed so just turn it on and light the vaporized gas, this should produce a light simmer. It might need a pump every few minutes to keep it going so keep an eye on it. This should be sufficient for scrambling eggs, I have even baked with a whisperlite which utilizes this technique and the "tower of power", which is folding the windscreen in at the top in four places and resting the pot ontop of that. I hope this helps and drop me an email if you have any questions. Tell Marc hello for me.
    Jarod
    maggio.j@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete