Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Home sweet... Astro Van

I can't believe how many people live in vans and other types of automobile. Who knew? I'm intrigued by this culture, I want to try it. They call themselves vandwellers and there are organizations of them and this whole sort of fraternal organization. They all link to each others blogs and they all seem to know one another. They all seem to be single though. My question is, if you're a married vandweller, do you share a van, or do each of you get your own van? I haven't figured out how to breach this with Christine yet. I've been trying to convince her of the benefits of living in a yurt for a couple of years now, and this goes a bit beyond that. I've got to proceed with caution. There is one girl who lives in Toyota Prius, so if a van isn't your thing, you know, you can still play along. The girl who lives in the Prius even has a job (in public radio, I believe) in Los Angeles. She just doesn't believe in the traditional housing model that most people unquestioningly buy into. You can't blame her for that can you? One of the more famous vandwellers is a girl who calls herself hobostripper. And yes, she is a stripper, although as I understand it, she mostly does phone sex now. Think of the advantages. No mortgage or rent or at least very minimal mortgage or rent. Want to move? Go ahead. Have a few too many at happy hour, no problem, you're already home. Pain in the ass neighbor? Drive away. It's almost all upside. I could park near wherever I'm working and ride my bike from there. I wouldn't even have to drive the van most of the time. I have slept, quite comfortably, in my Honda Element. It wouldn't be a bad vehicle to live in. Not a ton of storage space, but you could make do. If you only owned as much stuff as you can carry on your bike at one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment